Toggle shoutbox TR Shoutbox Open the Shoutbox in a popup

@  McKooter : (22 August 2023 - 02:08 AM) saying hi again. Ill check back in a bit
@  Tom_Horn : (19 March 2022 - 01:09 AM) What's up? :)
@  Slayer : (26 February 2022 - 11:31 AM) Sad to know that Madcat passed away. Rest in peace!
@  McKooter : (11 September 2021 - 08:16 PM) RIP Madcat. I only come here every few months. God we seem to lose some people. :( seriously.
@  Ragman : (24 May 2021 - 07:04 PM) To EVERYBODY: It is with deepest sympathy that I inform the community that MadCat passed away on the 19th of May this year. He will be missed.
@  Ragman : (24 May 2021 - 07:02 PM) Mckooter, I think Cursor is still paying for this
@  Caprica : (11 February 2021 - 06:55 AM) Доброго времени суток Всем
@  Caprica : (26 January 2021 - 06:07 PM) hi All
@  Slayer : (16 January 2021 - 05:13 PM) Hello
@  McKooter : (03 January 2021 - 04:39 PM) @Rags, yeah just was messing about again today and popped back in to see if its still up. Are we even sure who is paying for this place?
@  Ragman : (06 December 2020 - 10:59 PM) OMG This is still here
@  McKooter : (31 August 2019 - 02:12 AM) what!? a new site?? i slaved over this place :D eyo to fenris, rags, and ahroun
@  Fenris_Wolf : (14 July 2019 - 01:56 PM) Awesome. After much pissing around I can login again. Just a reminder we've got a new website running at https://tekagis.ca and a discord server https://discord.gg/psX8HBu
@  Ragabash : (10 July 2019 - 07:32 PM) Tekagis must rise again
@  Ahroun : (10 July 2019 - 07:31 PM) OMG I can't believe this login still works!!!  :blink:
@  McKooter : (26 June 2019 - 02:52 AM) just stopped in to say hi if anyone reads this still
@  MINDDRIVE : (01 June 2019 - 12:46 AM) ello ello
@  The_Fiddler : (11 March 2019 - 03:18 AM) 10 active user(s) (in the past 15 minutes) Play, play !!!
@  The_Fiddler : (10 March 2019 - 04:48 PM) Looking forward to explore this mod again :)
@  Nameless : (25 August 2018 - 12:54 AM) Server down?

Photo

Something new

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic

Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

Retired from TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
On the net you can find a lot of art pieces that combine an image of a scenery with elements from space, like planets, galaxies and stuff. The result is like you're looking over a surface of an alien planet. Maybe you've seen one of those before. You can find a lot of them (and a lot of other very neat stuff) on Desktop Nexus.

I loved these 'alien sceneries' so much that I told myself I would try and make one myself once I found the time for it. Well, I managed to find a couple (well, quite a lot actually) of hours and had a go. There is a lot of work involved in these pieces if you wanna do it right; the image of the mountain range is the only thing I picked up from the net, but even that needed to be changed. All the rest (the clouds, the sun, night sky and of course the planets) I had to make from scratch. Then there's a whole bunch of additional effects that need to go into it. The end result counts some 30 to 40 separate layers.

Anyway, you can see the result below. I was curious as to what you would think of it, and whether you could point out stuff that would need to be improved in some way.
If anything, I still love doing this graphical work. If only there was a way to start some kind of business from it, you could get some kind of reward for all the hours you have to put in...

Well, here it is. tell me what you think:

Posted Image
Retired.
"Never argue with an idiot, you will have to lower yourself to their standard and they will beat you with experience"

Zeta

Zeta

Cubic Zirconium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
Wow... That really is neat :D
Posted Image
Thank you, Slaughter

Zeta

Zeta

Cubic Zirconium

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts

P.S. I found the background for the TT loading screen on there too :)
http://space.desktop...llpaper/154097/

And I just found my new desktop pic :D
Posted Image
Thank you, Slaughter

Ragflow998

Ragflow998

What else ?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 651 posts
I tend to prefer the one you made :D :

Posted Image

WildSurfer

WildSurfer

frozen Sushi

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Black Scorpion,

You are the greatest i ever seen. Your link is neither a fanstatic source of inspiration.

May I use a bit of your time and ask a large piece of help. I am not a designer, neither a drawer, i tried to make some sigs, which
represent what i'd like to get, could it be possible for you to have a look on them and create one for me WildSurfer and meanwhile
could you have a look to the sig of THE CONTRACTOR, he would also be much interested in your creations.

Both of us thank you in advance for giving us a bit of time.

With our best regards

WS and TC

Good flight and long life to DD

Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

Retired from TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
Well I'm glad you all like the work, thanks for the kind compliments. Caledonia pointed out to me though that the planet reflections in the water are a bit off, and I think he is right. I'll improve it once I have the time, thanks for pointing it out m8.

@Wildsurfer:
Normally I would be more than happy to make you both sigs exactly how you want them. Unfortunately I am kinda stuck on a very tight schedule, due to RL circumstances. This is why I have put sig-making on hold for the time being. So I'm sorry to say I have to decline this time. I could of course tell you that I 'will have a look at it when I have some time to spare', but to be quite honest with you, I wouldn't be able to make good on that promise, and I don't think it's really fair to create expectations on your end that I couldn't fulfill.
There are one or two other sig artists around here though, maybe you could ask one of them.

Sorry again m8.
Retired.
"Never argue with an idiot, you will have to lower yourself to their standard and they will beat you with experience"

THE CONTRACTOR

THE CONTRACTOR

cloned Sheep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Well I'm glad you all like the work, thanks for the kind compliments. Caledonia pointed out to me though that the planet reflections in the water are a bit off, and I think he is right. I'll improve it once I have the time, thanks for pointing it out m8.

@Wildsurfer:
Normally I would be more than happy to make you both sigs exactly how you want them. Unfortunately I am kinda stuck on a very tight schedule, due to RL circumstances. This is why I have put sig-making on hold for the time being. So I'm sorry to say I have to decline this time. I could of course tell you that I 'will have a look at it when I have some time to spare', but to be quite honest with you, I wouldn't be able to make good on that promise, and I don't think it's really fair to create expectations on your end that I couldn't fulfill.
There are one or two other sig artists around here though, maybe you could ask one of them.

Sorry again m8.

Thnx for your kindness Black Scorpio, i understand you are busy, but as i am new on board, may be you can transfer my request to your friends.

That would be great from you

Looking forward for good news

The Contractor
With my best regards,
The Contractor

Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

Retired from TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
I will be sure to pass your request on to them m8, they will be in touch with you one way or another.
Retired.

THE CONTRACTOR

THE CONTRACTOR

cloned Sheep

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

I will be sure to pass your request on to them m8, they will be in touch with you one way or another.

With our great thnx for your patience and kindness

Regards

LC & WS
With my best regards,
The Contractor

Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

Retired from TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
Some people made a couple of suggestions. The two most important ones being the reflection of the planets in the river, and the detailing of the surface and the clouds on the biggest planet.
(If you're not interested in detailed explanations you should skip ahead to the image)

About the detailing, it was suggested that the clouds (the ones on the big green planet in the background) should have more detail than they have now, since they are above the surface of the planet and therefor closer to the viewer's eye than the surface. On this I had to disagree.
If you look at photo's from Earth taken from space, one will notice that clouds are more blurry than the surface. This has a couple of reasons.

First of all the issue of the clouds being closer to the viewer's eye than the surface.
This is true. However, clouds are only between a couple of hundred of meters and a couple of kilometers from the surface. The planet itself would be several thousands or even millions of kilometers from the viewer's eye. Over such huge distances, the relative small difference in distance between the planet surface and the clouds would be negligible and hardly noticeable.
Secondly, clouds are fuzzy by nature, seeing they exist of water vapor. Some clouds are sharper than others and may have more detail in them, but due to the fact that they are mostly made up of only white and gray shades that flow into each other, the detailing is far from what you would find on a planet surface. A planet surface however, has numerous sharp details. Roads, mountain ridges and the shadows created by them, rivers, sharp contrast in colors in general, cities, etc. etc. And even from quite some distance like in space, you would be able to see this detail. Like you see it on those pictures of our own planet Earth.

This makes that a planet surface would be more detailed than cloud layers, seen from space.

Now, the reflection of the planets in the river.
This was spot on. After having a closer look, the reflection was way off. The part of the reflection you could actually see did not make any sense.

So I have redone the reflection altogether. I hope it looks better this way. Let me know what you think once again.

P.S.:
I just wanted to let you know that I really appreciate each and every comment made. The critical ones even more than the nice ones. Because this is how I second guess my own work and find things to improve. When working on images for hours at a time, you tend to not see certain things anymore. Then when you publish it, people will suddenly notice those things I myself had lost sight of in the process. That is why I think other people their first impressions are very helpful in improving my work. So please keep those comments coming! And don't be afraid to be critical, I can take it. If you think it sucks, just go ahead and say it. :blush:

Ok so here's the edited version:

Posted Image
Retired.

nobodie

nobodie

Alien Organism

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
That reflection looks alot better!
But that button type banner looks like as if you could click it and plays on my nerves.
Why not just writing Black Scorpion bigger letters but with some transparency on that ice rock down left? Pretty nice spot.

nobodiehandwh.png

Black Scorpion

Black Scorpion

Retired from TT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,286 posts
Good to know y'all like the reflection better this way.

Pokey: See what you mean there m8. Funny thing is though, the first take of the image was with one planet less, and I thought it looked 'empty', so I added one extra.
What's really important in this image is the difference between light and dark on the left and right side of the image. The sun glare plays an extremely important part in that, and also for the light over the mountains and against the planets. And tbh the glare is the thing I like best about the whole image, it looks perfect to me coming from behind those clouds. Sorry but it's staying. :blush:

I am just experimenting a bit with a logo. I have made several and I sometimes just slap them on an image just to see how they look. It's really not so important to the image itself. But I did put it there to see if it would have been noticed, so I guess this one is off the books.
Retired.